Amazing Quilting Convention Comes to Pigeon Forge
Are you an avid quilter? Or maybe you’ve always wanted to try making your own quilt, but you’ve never known where to start. You’re in luck, because one of the biggest quilting events in the Southeast is coming to the Great Smoky Mountains! Quiltfest is a four day extravaganza complete with competitions, prizes, classes, shows, and so much more. Located right around the corner from our Pigeon Forge cabins, Quiltfest is a must see event for anyone with an interest in quilting.
Where and When
Quiltfest will be held from March 19 - 22 at the LeConte Center in Pigeon Forge. You can find this gorgeous convention center at 2986 Teaster Lane, just off of Pigeon Forge’s famous Parkway.
Acorn Cabin Rentals is just minutes away from the LeConte Center! When you stay at our cabins in Pigeon Forge, you’ll be able to easily travel back and forth from Quiltfest throughout the week.
We are also offering a number of great specials during Quiltfest! If you are planning to stay for all four nights of the convention, Acorn Cabin Rentals will give you your fourth night for free. To take advantage of this promotion, use the code 4Free13 when you reserve your cabin. If you decide to book a week’s stay at Acorn Cabin Rentals, you will get a complimentary seventh night. This deal is already built into our weekly rates.
Continue reading to learn about all the different Quiltfest events.
First Night Sneak Peek
Can’t wait for Quiltfest to start? You can catch a sneak peak of all the fun on Tuesday, March 18th. Come on over to the LeConte center at 6 p.m. to meet some of Quiltfest’s instructors, vendors, and sponsors. This is a great opportunity to do some shopping before the public opening!
How would you like to win $4,000? If you think your quilt has got what it takes, you could walk away with the grand prize for Best in Show! Competitors in the Quilt Show will compete for cash prizes in 14 different categories:
- Best in Show
- Large Professional
- Small Professional
- Hand Quilted Bed Quilts
- Machine Quilted Bed Quilts
- Large Quilts
- Medium Quilts
- Small Quilts
- Non-Traditional Quits
- Quilted By Another Another Large Quilts
- Quilted By Another Small Quilts
- Speciality Quilts
- Youth Quilts
- Viewers’ Choice
There is no charge for entering the competition or viewing the quilts. The Quilt Show is open to the public at the following times:
- March 19 at 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- March 20 at 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- March 21 at 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- March 22 at 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
On Site Quilt Appraisals
Do you own a quilt that might be worth something? Certified quilt appraiser Sandra Palmer will be at Quiltfest to assess the value of your quilts! Palmer will be available by appointment on March 18, 20, 21, and 22. If you are interested in meeting with Sandra Palmer, check in with the Reservation Desk at the LeConte Center. Each appraisal takes about 30 minutes.
Here are the appraisal fees:
- $40 for one quilt
- $35 per quilt for three or four quilts
- $30 per quilt for five or more quilts
The Dinner Social is a great opportunity to get to know your fellow quilters! This special meal will be held from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. on Friday, March 21. Tickets cost $30 and can be purchased at the Registration Desk. In addition to dinner, guests will also receive a locally made piece of pottery commemorating Quiltfest.
Show & Tell
Beginning at 6:30 p.m. on March 21 (immediately following the Dinner Social) there will be a Show & Tell for all Quiltfest participants. Guests are encouraged to bring up to three quilted items to share with the group. Everyone who shows up will be entered into a raffle to win a sewing machine and other excellent door prizes. This event is free to attend.
Eleanor Burns Lecture
Author, TV personality, and quilting expert Eleanor Burns will be giving a presentation during Quiltfest. On Saturday, March 22 at 7 p.m., Burns will share some of her best quilting secrets with the audience. Tickets for this special lecture cost $20.
Quiltfest also offers a great selection of classes for every quilting ability. Here is a list of all the workshops that still have spaces open:
Tuesday, March 18
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Class #2 - Checks and Chicks $65
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m Class # 6 - Quilting for Beginners $65
- 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Class #8 - Leaf Collections $40
Wednesday, March 19
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m Class #15 - Round Table Topper $65
- 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Class #20 - Cutwork for a Quilt $40
- 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m Class #23 - Lessons Machine Piecing: The Ohio Star $40
Thursday, March 20
- 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Class #35 - Influences of Africa Lecture (Brunch) $40
- 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Class #40 - Kylee’s Kite $40
- 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Class #42 - Block Party Lecture Dinner #40
Friday, March 21
- 9:00 a.m. - 11: 00 a.m. Class #50 - Decorating With Quilts Lecture (Brunch) $40
- 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Class #52 - Autumn Crossing $40
- 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Class #54 - Show and Tell Dinner $30
- 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Clas #55 - Rainbow Split Broken Star (2 day class) $130
Saturday, March 22
- 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Class #64 - Learn to Paper Piece $40
- 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Class #66 - The Quilt Improvement Show Lecture $20
You can register for classes on the Quiltfest website.
Book a Cabin
Acorn Cabin Rentals is in a great location close to all of the Quiltfest activities! With hot tubs, fully furnished kitchens, and free wifi, our Pigeon Forge cabins have everything you need for an unbeatable vacation. To find the perfect vacation rental for your next visit to the Smokies, visit our Cabins page or give us a call at 1-800-953-5655.
Images courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Jason Fishman is a writer and editor specializing in history, dining, travel and tourism. In his spare time, he enjoys science fiction, breakfast food and bad puns.